Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Ball Issues

The other night when Matthew went to check on the girls when we got home, he told me to come look right away. I looked into the doorway of the plastic igloo in their cage to see them BOTH cuddled up in there sleeping! I was glad to see that. So yes, they do get along, regardless of how they reacted to each other when they met. Sometimes they're a team--Sunny will take a few pieces of the bedding in her mouth and bring them over to Sandy, who is working on digging an elaborate area. I happen to know they have seeds stashed in the little wooden house, because they go in there and start crunching. I have also observed that Sandy seems to be smarter than Sunny, and she also does not like the ball (Sunny does like it). I put Sunny in the ball to walk around the apartment for a while, and then I pop it onto the stand so she can go for a run, and then I put her back in the cage. Sandy, however, is smart enough to know how she got there, and how to get out. She'll walk around a little bit inside the ball, but she has trouble getting around because she's smaller than Sunny. She often stops to chew on the door to the ball. I pop her onto the stand to run, and she does more door-chewing than running. She knows where she needs to go to get in and out, so she figures if she chews, she'll eventually get out. After about a minute of walk-walk-chew, walk-walk-chew, I just give up and put her back in the cage. I can see she won't get much excercise. Sunny explores the WHOLE apartment (in fact, last week she finally made it over the tall piece of wood that divides the bathroom and the hallway, and she had been trying to for a long time), but Sandy never leaves the room. I guess she's just not a ball fan. At least she has been trying to use the wheel in the cage. She needs to get SOME excercise. Mostly what the weel is used for is a place to dig under and sleep, or they'll hop inside the wheel to scratch furiously at themselves. I don't get why they're so itchy.